Skip to main content

Tomino's Hell

I am a huge fan of poems, whether the sentences are easy or difficult to decipher. One poem I would like to share today is a Japanese, short and old one called "Tomino's Hell". Why I wanted to talk about this piece is because it has an interesting story behind it and I'm sure people recognize this picture, as it became sort of a Creepypasta.


The work is basically about a boy that ports to Hell. Why Tomino's Hell became popular is because of its legend and curse that folk says lies upon it. No one knows how the reputations started, though one thing is clear and that is that everything that is said about the poem is fully false, ofcourse. But there are still people who believe in it; there's always a warning before reading the actual text. The warnings are things like "If you read this out loud for yourself, be prepared for horrific consequences", "You and your family can become sick or die" and such.
 
In any case: Tomino's Hell was published over 100 years ago, year 1919, in a collection of poems [that is called Sakin, "Gold-dust" in English] by Saijo Yaso. The poem became more popular in this age after the Japanese author Yomota Inuhiko included it in one of his books from 1998.
 
And, if you want to read Tomino's Hell, it can be read in both Japanese & English here.
 
My opinion on the poem is that I like it very much. It is beautiful and fascinating, even when it's certainly tragic. In a single word, I would call Tomino's Hell unique. Saijo Yaso did a fine job with the lyric!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Black-Haired Woman: Chiyuki

For this Character of the Week , I chose my favourite female protagonist ever. However, there will be heavy spoilers in this one, so beware if you have not seen the anime Death Parade yet! Her name in the anime is never revealed until the very end, and she has black hair with a tiny white strand on the right side, so she has always been known as The Black-Haired Woman (or, in Japanese, 黒髪の女 [Kurokami no Onna]). To fans, she is sometimes referred to as Onna , which means "woman" in Japanese. Her real name is Chiyuki , though her surname is unknown. The series followed Decim , the main character and the bartender of Quindecim , but the way Decim judges souls changes completely and the story makes a turn when the mysterious woman shows up at the bar. As she has no idea how or why she came there, she became Decim´s assistant at the bar and started helping him with the lost souls that comes frequently to the place, just like the black-haired woman. When you die, you arriv...

Corpse Party & Sachiko Shinozaki

Before starting with the Character of the Week, I would like to give background because I absolutely LOVE Corpse Party. It is so unique and, when I discovered it, unlike anything I had seen before! So, what is it? Corpse Party (in Japanese, コープスパーティー Kōpusu Pātī ) is a series of several things; Video games, anime OVA, manga works, drama CDs and live action films. I cannot go over every part of CP, that would be way too long of a blog post so I´ll be mostly talking about the games. This is the history & what it says on the official Fandom Wiki: "On April 22nd 1996, an adventure game called CORPSE-PARTY was published in the Spring 1996 edition of LOGIN Sofcom No.6 . It was made by a 22-year-old college student by the name of Makoto Kedouin , who typically stylizes his surname as Kedwin. On February 26th 1997, Kedwin won the grand prize in the Second Annual ASCII ENTERTAINMENT competition, netting him 5 million yen. It´d be nine years before the world saw Corpse Part...

Darling In The FranXX: 02

Today's "Character of the Week", I decided to include one of the main characters from the anime Darling In The FranXX, a short anime I really fancy. I will be talking about none other than Zero Two, or 002, the main heroine and the deuteragonist. Darling in the FranXX is a short (It has 1 season containing 24 episodes) Sci-Fi, Mecha, Action & Romance anime that premiered in winter 2018, airing from January 13th to July 7th 2018. Very well, onto the description: "In the distant future, humanity has been driven to near-extinction by giant beasts known as Klaxosaurs, forcing the surviving humans to take refuge in massive fortress cities called Plantations. Children raised here are trained to pilot giant mechas known as FranXX—the only weapons known to be effective against the Klaxosaurs - in boy-girl pairs. Bred for the sole purpose of piloting these machines, these children know nothing of the outside world and are only able to prove their existence by ...