Skip to main content

Love Alarm - Season 1 & 2 Review

Love Alarm is a South Korean web TV series starring Kim So-hyun, Song Kang and Jung Ga-ram as the three main characters. It is based on the webtoon of the same name by Chon Kye-young. It became so popular that, like many other webtoons, it appeared on television as a series, having its first premiere and episode 22th of August 2019. The 12th of March 2021 though, the creators of the series finally completed filming the long-awaited Season 2 that all fans has been begging for, so I figured I could make a review of the K-Drama (no spoilers, ofcourse!).

If you'd like to see it, the whole thing is available to watch on Netflix.


In a modern future, there exists a certain app called "Love Alarm" that has taken over the world, and for a good reason: If you download the app, it shall show you within a 10 meters radius if someone has romantic feelings for you. Quite the matchmaker, right?

Kim Jojo is, however, an ordinary high school girl who does not care about the Love Alarm app... or romance at all for that matter. She likes to focus on school and studying, being the diligent and innocent student she is. Eventually, she decides to give Love Alarm a lazy try though. At the same time, Sun-Oh, a handsome young celebrity, starts attending Jojo's school. When he sees her, it was love at first sight... for him. But with time and effort, Sun-Oh manages to make Jojo's Love Alarm ring Sun-Oh's and vice versa. The twist is that Sun-Oh's best friend starts taking an immediate romantic interest in Jojo too, and he tries just as hard to win her over.

Who will Jojo's Love Alarm truly ring for?


Love Alarm Season 1 was definitely intriguing for me, right off the bat! I fell in love with the concept of having a mere app showing your true feelings for someone. Fun fact: The creators made a real-life app called "Love Alarm" that functions in the same way as in the drama! It is 100% free so I have the app, but just for fun.

Anyhow, I am also a huge fan of Sun-Oh's actor (Song Kang) and character. He is kind of like me when it comes to romance, skipping all the wait and going for it in a quicker pace, so I could relate a bit to his way of thinking. It becomes pretty interesting when the main character/s are likeable, and I thought so... somewhat... to be honest, I didn't really like the characters, especially Jojo. It was mostly the story and anticipation for Season 2 that kept me holding on. Like I mentioned, I loved the idea of a futuristic, legit matchmaker app.

Speaking of Season 2: Season 1 ended in the biggest cliffhanger I have ever seen in a K-drama, so I was really looking forward to next season. The Webtoon readers already knew that there would be more to come and plenty of rumors went around, so one can imagine how happy I was when Season 2 was released.

Unfortunately, it was not what I expected.

Season 2 was, in a nutshell, a disappointment to me. But since I checked out the Webtoon, I kind of already saw that ending coming. I still had hope that the creators of the TV series would go for something different than the web series, which was the sole reason for me sticking around. I was hoping for the "fairytale end" that I, along with countless other fans, wanted... and it never arrived. I'm not saying the whole series sucked. Another big thing for me was the soundtrack; the music is incredibly romantic and beautiful, suiting the K-drama perfectly. Is it worth watching? Yes! Would I want to remember it or rewatch it? No.

---

Overall rating of Season 1 of Love Alarm: 8/10!

Overall rating of Season 2 of Love Alarm: 4/10.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Black-Haired Woman: Chiyuki

For this Character of the Week , I chose my favourite female protagonist ever. However, there will be heavy spoilers in this one, so beware if you have not seen the anime Death Parade yet! Her name in the anime is never revealed until the very end, and she has black hair with a tiny white strand on the right side, so she has always been known as The Black-Haired Woman (or, in Japanese, 黒髪の女 [Kurokami no Onna]). To fans, she is sometimes referred to as Onna , which means "woman" in Japanese. Her real name is Chiyuki , though her surname is unknown. The series followed Decim , the main character and the bartender of Quindecim , but the way Decim judges souls changes completely and the story makes a turn when the mysterious woman shows up at the bar. As she has no idea how or why she came there, she became Decim´s assistant at the bar and started helping him with the lost souls that comes frequently to the place, just like the black-haired woman. When you die, you arriv...

Corpse Party & Sachiko Shinozaki

Before starting with the Character of the Week, I would like to give background because I absolutely LOVE Corpse Party. It is so unique and, when I discovered it, unlike anything I had seen before! So, what is it? Corpse Party (in Japanese, コープスパーティー Kōpusu Pātī ) is a series of several things; Video games, anime OVA, manga works, drama CDs and live action films. I cannot go over every part of CP, that would be way too long of a blog post so I´ll be mostly talking about the games. This is the history & what it says on the official Fandom Wiki: "On April 22nd 1996, an adventure game called CORPSE-PARTY was published in the Spring 1996 edition of LOGIN Sofcom No.6 . It was made by a 22-year-old college student by the name of Makoto Kedouin , who typically stylizes his surname as Kedwin. On February 26th 1997, Kedwin won the grand prize in the Second Annual ASCII ENTERTAINMENT competition, netting him 5 million yen. It´d be nine years before the world saw Corpse Part...

Darling In The FranXX: 02

Today's "Character of the Week", I decided to include one of the main characters from the anime Darling In The FranXX, a short anime I really fancy. I will be talking about none other than Zero Two, or 002, the main heroine and the deuteragonist. Darling in the FranXX is a short (It has 1 season containing 24 episodes) Sci-Fi, Mecha, Action & Romance anime that premiered in winter 2018, airing from January 13th to July 7th 2018. Very well, onto the description: "In the distant future, humanity has been driven to near-extinction by giant beasts known as Klaxosaurs, forcing the surviving humans to take refuge in massive fortress cities called Plantations. Children raised here are trained to pilot giant mechas known as FranXX—the only weapons known to be effective against the Klaxosaurs - in boy-girl pairs. Bred for the sole purpose of piloting these machines, these children know nothing of the outside world and are only able to prove their existence by ...