Skip to main content

Meeting You - South Korean VR

If you had the chance to see a loved one who has passed away once again... would you do it?

Today, I would like to share with you a short but heartwarming documentary that got recommended to me on YouTube, about a grieving mother "meeting" her deceased daughter one more time through VR technology.
(The video has English subtitles for those who don't understand Korean.)



I knew I had to share and spread this clip to people, especially as it might help bring up some hope in general. For technology, for death, for love, for humanity.

"Meeting You" is a South Korean TV show who wanted to take one step further into meeting closure with yourself after losing someone dear to you, so the staff and director Kim Jong-woo started this project of getting to the point where you can virtually meet a loved one, one last time. It took around a year to perfect this special project.
A mourning mother, Jang Ji-sung, wanted to test this advanced VR technology after losing her young daughter to disease in 2016, and thus, the experiment started and turned into a real tearjerker for everybody. She put on the VR headset and, poof, daughter Na-yeon appeared. They had a beautiful time together until Nayeon turned into a white butterfly that flew away, saying a final 'goodbye' to Jang.

Despite all the controversy that went around the idea of using artificial intelligence to replace something that cannot be replaced, the mother wrote on her blog that she had been suffering deeply from nightmares of her deceased Na-yeon, but after the filming, she finally felt real closure and could ease the pain of her loss. She said the project worked fantastically for her and that, despite it not being her actual daughter, she was happy to see a reflection of Na-yeon in the child the team had made with 3D-modeling, extreme details and such.

What do you think of this documentary and the idea behind it? I find it so very interesting and it warms my heart in a bittersweet way. It is difficult to explain but... if I just answer the question I wrote at the top of this blog post: Yes, I would do this if I had the chance, to see a particular someone just one last time. I'm positive it would bring me tears and joy at the same time, just like it did for Jang Ji-sung and Na-yeon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Black-Haired Woman: Chiyuki

For this Character of the Week , I chose my favourite female protagonist ever. However, there will be heavy spoilers in this one, so beware if you have not seen the anime Death Parade yet! Her name in the anime is never revealed until the very end, and she has black hair with a tiny white strand on the right side, so she has always been known as The Black-Haired Woman (or, in Japanese, 黒髪の女 [Kurokami no Onna]). To fans, she is sometimes referred to as Onna , which means "woman" in Japanese. Her real name is Chiyuki , though her surname is unknown. The series followed Decim , the main character and the bartender of Quindecim , but the way Decim judges souls changes completely and the story makes a turn when the mysterious woman shows up at the bar. As she has no idea how or why she came there, she became Decim´s assistant at the bar and started helping him with the lost souls that comes frequently to the place, just like the black-haired woman. When you die, you arriv...

Corpse Party & Sachiko Shinozaki

Before starting with the Character of the Week, I would like to give background because I absolutely LOVE Corpse Party. It is so unique and, when I discovered it, unlike anything I had seen before! So, what is it? Corpse Party (in Japanese, コープスパーティー Kōpusu Pātī ) is a series of several things; Video games, anime OVA, manga works, drama CDs and live action films. I cannot go over every part of CP, that would be way too long of a blog post so I´ll be mostly talking about the games. This is the history & what it says on the official Fandom Wiki: "On April 22nd 1996, an adventure game called CORPSE-PARTY was published in the Spring 1996 edition of LOGIN Sofcom No.6 . It was made by a 22-year-old college student by the name of Makoto Kedouin , who typically stylizes his surname as Kedwin. On February 26th 1997, Kedwin won the grand prize in the Second Annual ASCII ENTERTAINMENT competition, netting him 5 million yen. It´d be nine years before the world saw Corpse Part...

Darling In The FranXX: 02

Today's "Character of the Week", I decided to include one of the main characters from the anime Darling In The FranXX, a short anime I really fancy. I will be talking about none other than Zero Two, or 002, the main heroine and the deuteragonist. Darling in the FranXX is a short (It has 1 season containing 24 episodes) Sci-Fi, Mecha, Action & Romance anime that premiered in winter 2018, airing from January 13th to July 7th 2018. Very well, onto the description: "In the distant future, humanity has been driven to near-extinction by giant beasts known as Klaxosaurs, forcing the surviving humans to take refuge in massive fortress cities called Plantations. Children raised here are trained to pilot giant mechas known as FranXX—the only weapons known to be effective against the Klaxosaurs - in boy-girl pairs. Bred for the sole purpose of piloting these machines, these children know nothing of the outside world and are only able to prove their existence by ...